Do you have a special family recipe?
This recipe has been in our family for YEARS. It’s actually my aunt’s recipe and I remember having it at her place when we would all get together for holidays.
It’s sinful – there’s an entire POUND of butter in a 9×13 pan! But as with everything, it’s all about moderation.
Except it’s so good that you may not be able to stop at one piece. Or five…
Banana Split Cake
3 c. graham cracker crumbs
1/2 lb butter, melted
2 c. icing sugar
1/2 lb butter, softened
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs (*see below)
1 – 19 oz can crushed pineapple
2 pkgs Dream Whip, prepared
1. Combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Press into 9 x 12 inch greased baking pan.
2. In a medium bowl, beat together icing sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs for 20 minutes. Spread evenly over graham cracker crust.
3. Drain pineapple well and spread evenly over creamed mixture.
4. Slice bananas and arrange over pineapple.
5. Spread prepared Dream Whip topping over bananas and chill dessert for at least 15 minutes.
A few notes…
Because this recipe contains raw eggs, it NEEDS to be kept refrigerated!
*If you are leary of using raw eggs in a non-baked dessert (especially if you will be serving this to small children, elderly or ill people), or if the thought of eating raw eggs creeps you out, you can substitute pasteurized eggs or liquid egg substitute that can be found in your dairy section – refer to the carton’s directions to find out how much you need to replace the 2 raw eggs.
Alternately, you can coddle the eggs first.
If you decide to use raw eggs after all, just make sure that they are very fresh!